Guidelines for Safe and Efficient Use
- Guidelines for Safe and Efficient Use
- Taking Care of and Using Your Device
- Emergency calls
- Memory card
- Precautions regarding memory card use
- Potentially explosive atmospheres
- Blasting areas
- Personal medical devices
- GPS/Location based functions
- Flight mode
- Protection of personal information
- Loudness warning
Guidelines for Safe and Efficient Use
The following guidelines are for your own safety and to prevent device malfunction. If you aren’t sure if your device is working properly, have the device checked by an authorised Sony Mobile service partner before use.
Taking Care of and Using Your Device
- Be careful where you place your device. Avoid exposing the display to excessive pressure, for example, by placing it in a pocket and sitting on it or by bending down quickly to pick up something. Such pressure may cause the display to crack.
- You can use your device in certain wet or dusty conditions but take care to use it within its IP rating limitations and regular usage limitations. Conditions where IP rating limits might be exceeded include environments with excessive humidity, water depths, liquid pressure and dust exposure.
- Use a soft damp cloth to clean your device.
- Treat the device with care and do not expose it to extreme high or low temperatures. Do not operate your device in temperatures below +5°C(+41°F) or above +35°C(+95°F).
- Do not expose your device to flames or lit tobacco products.
- Only authorised Sony Mobile service partners should perform service procedures on your device. Do not attempt to disassemble your device.
- Your device generates heat when used or charging. To prevent irritation or discomfort from heat, avoid long periods of skin contact and ensure adequate ventilation. Use a headset for long phone calls.
- This device may contain small parts that could become detached and create a choking hazard. Keep this device away from children or other supervised individuals to prevent such hazard. They could hurt themselves or others.
- This device may contain small magnet(s). Swallowing magnet(s) could cause serious harm, such as choking hazard or intestinal injuries. Keep this device away from children or other supervised individuals to prevent any such harm. If you know or suspect that you or anyone has swallowed a magnet, seek medical attention immediately.
- This device contains magnet(s) which may interfere with pacemakers, defibrillators, programmable shunt valves, or other medical devices. Do not place this device close to such medical devices or persons who use such medical devices. Consult your doctor before using this product if you use any such medical device.
Do not use a damaged device, such as a device with a cracked display or badly dented back cover, as it may cause injury or harm. Please contact an authorised Sony Mobile service partner to investigate a damaged device.
Calls cannot be guaranteed under all conditions. Never rely solely upon mobile devices for essential communication. Calls may not be possible in all areas, on all networks, or when certain network services and/or mobile device features are used.
Some devices are not capable of supporting voice calls, including emergency calls.
- Only connect the charger to power sources as indicated on the device.
- Charge the battery in temperatures between +5°C (+41°F) and +35°C (+95°F).
- When charging your device using the USB cable, make sure the USB cable is positioned so that it will not be stepped on, tripped over or otherwise subjected to damage or stress.
- Disconnect the power supply when the device is fully charged. When a power supply is connected, there is a small drain of power.
- Remove the charger from the outlet by holding on to the adapter rather than the USB cable. Doing so reduces the risk of damage to the cable.
- Unplug the charger before cleaning it to reduce the risk of electric shock.
- Do not use the charger outdoors or in damp areas.
Do not attempt to alter or modify the USB cable or the plug. Do not force the plug if it does not fit into a power outlet as this may result in electric shock. Instead, have a qualified electrician install the correct type of socket.
A rechargeable battery has a long service life if treated properly. New or idle batteries can have short-term reduced capacity.
- For maximum battery capacity, use the battery in room temperature. If the battery is used in low temperatures, the battery capacity will be reduced.
- Fully charge the battery before initial use.
- Only authorised Sony Mobile service partners should remove or replace built-in batteries.
If the device comes complete with a removable memory card, it is generally compatible with the device purchased but may not be compatible with other devices or the capabilities of their memory cards. Check other devices for compatibility before purchase or use. If the device is equipped with a memory card reader, check the memory card compatibility before purchase or use.
Memory cards are generally formatted prior to shipping. To reformat the memory card, use a compatible device. For details, refer to the operating instructions of the device or contact the relevant Sony Mobile Contact Center.
Precautions regarding memory card use
- Do not expose the memory card to moisture.
- Do not touch terminal connections with your hand or any metal object.
- Do not strike or bend the memory card.
- Do not attempt to disassemble or modify the memory card.
- Do not use or store the memory card in humid or corrosive locations or in excessive heat conditions such as in a closed car in summer, in direct sunlight or near a heater, etc.
- Do not let dirt, dust, or foreign objects get into the memory card slot.
- Check that you have inserted the memory card correctly. The memory card may not operate properly unless fully inserted.
- We recommend that you make a backup copy of important data. We are not responsible for any loss or damage to content that you store on the memory card.
- Do not remove the memory card when the device is on. Recorded data may be damaged or lost if you remove it when the device is on.
Use of antenna devices not marketed by Sony Mobile could damage the mobile device, reduce performance, and produce Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) levels above the established limits. Do not cover the antenna with your hand as this affects call quality and power levels, and can shorten talk and standby times.
Potentially explosive atmospheres
It is rare, but your electronic device could generate sparks. Sparks in potentially explosive areas could cause an explosion or fire resulting in bodily injury or even death. Areas with a potentially explosive atmosphere are often, but not always, clearly marked.
- Turn off your device when in any area with a potentially explosive atmosphere.
- Do not use your device in a potentially explosive environment, such as a petrol station, oil depot, chemical factory or other flammable and explosive areas.
- Do not charge the device near to inflammable material as the heat can cause a fire.
Turn off all your electronic devices when in a blasting area or in areas where the warning "Turn off two-way radio" is posted, to avoid interfering with blasting operations. Construction crews often use remote control RF devices to set off explosives.
Accessories may influence RF exposure, radio performance, loudness, electric safety and other areas.
Sony Mobile does not test non-original accessories and the warranty does not cover device failures which have been caused by use of such accessories. Non-original accessories and parts may pose a risk to your health or safety. Non-original accessories may result in loss of performance, damage to the device, fire, electric shock or injury. Use of third-party accessories may result in different SAR levels than those reported.
- Use only authorised Sony Mobile service partners.
- Do not wear/use a Bluetooth® headset in such a way that you are uncomfortable or the device is subject to pressure.
Personal medical devices
Mobile devices and devices with radio transmitters may affect implanted medical equipment. Before using the device in close proximity to personal medical equipment, please consult a physician and the medical equipment manufacturer.
- Consult with authorised medical staff and refer to the instructions provided by the medical equipment manufacturer before using the device near pacemakers or other medical equipment.
- If you are in close proximity to a pacemaker or other medical equipment, or you are in a hospital, or you have a pacemaker or a cochlear implant, or you are using a hearing aid, please consult authorised physicians and refer to instructions from the medical equipment manufacturer before you use the device.
- Keep a minimum distance of 15 cm (6 inches) between your device and the medical equipment to reduce the risk of interference.
- Turn off your device if you suspect interference.
- If you have a pacemaker, do not carry your device in your breast pocket.
In some cases, vehicle manufacturers may forbid the use of mobile devices in their vehicles unless a handsfree kit with an external antenna is used.
- Check with the vehicle manufacturer’s representative to be sure that a mobile device or Bluetooth® handsfree will not affect the electronic systems in the vehicle.
- Give full attention to driving at all times and follow local laws about the use of mobile devices while driving.
- Do not place your device, or install wireless equipment, in the area above an air bag in a car.
- Do not use GPS functionality in a manner which causes distraction from driving.
GPS/Location based functions
Some devices provide GPS/Location based functions. Location determining functionality is provided "As is" and "With all faults". Sony Mobile does not make any representation or warranty as to the accuracy of such location information.
Use of location-based information by the device may not be uninterrupted or error free and may additionally be dependent on network service availability. Please note that functionality may be reduced or prevented in certain environments such as building interiors or areas adjacent to buildings.
Bluetooth® and Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) functionality, if available in the device, can be enabled in Flight mode but may be prohibited onboard aircraft or in other areas where radio transmissions are prohibited. In such environments, please seek proper authorisation before enabling Bluetooth® or WLAN functionality even in Flight mode.
Malware is software that can harm the device. Malware or harmful applications can include viruses, worms, spyware, and other unwanted programs. While the device does employ security measures to resist such efforts, Sony Mobile does not warrant or represent that the device will be impervious to the introduction of malware. You can, however, reduce the risk of malware attacks by using care when downloading content or accepting applications, by refraining from opening or responding to messages from unknown sources, by using trustworthy services to access the Internet, and by only downloading content to the mobile device from known, reliable sources.
Protection of personal information
Erase personal data before disposing of the device. To delete data, perform a master reset. Deleting data from the memory of the device does not ensure that it cannot be recovered. Sony Mobile does not warrant against recovery of information and does not assume responsibility for disclosure of any information even after a master reset.
To prevent possible hearing damage, do not listen at high volume levels for long periods.